• 1

English Creative Writing Minor

Students who are pursing a major other than English can minor in Creative Writing. The requirements are essentially the same as the Concentration in Creative Writing, except there are fewer required literature classes. Students must take EN 312 Creative Writing, and they must take at least two additional creative writing classes, one of which must be at the 400 level: Poetry or Fiction Writing Workshop. In addition, students take at least six hours of other English classes, which may be in literature or writing (general education classes may not be counted towards the minor). Student also complete the Senior Portfolio.

Full Program Description from the MUW Undergraduate Bulletin

Students may choose an English Minor instead of a Creative Writing minor. By taking 15 hours of English beyond the 9-12 core English hours. Of those five classes, any number may be creative writing classes. For those interested in writing, we recommend taking at least one 300-level writing course and one 400-level writing course, and we recommend that you take several literature courses as well. Writers need to be well read to know the tradition in which they are working. Of course, writers should also read widely outside of classes, especially in the genres or styls that interest them most.

Students who are not officially listed with the Creative Writing Concentration or Creative Writing Minor, but who are interested in taking more than one writing course should contact Dr. Dunkelberg to become an Affiliate of the Creative Writing Program. This is an unofficial designation, but it will allow us to contact you about creative writing events, classes, and other information.

Request Information on Our Programs