Prospective Culinary Arts Students
The Culinary Arts Institute at the W offers small classes with one-on-one instruction by experienced and dedicated chefs.
We bring in high quality ingredients so that students are prepared to go out into the industry with the knowledge to be successful and confident.
CAI on TV
You have seen our alumni like Chef Linkie Marais and Chef David Crews on Food Network.
CAI in the Kitchen
Culinary Arts Institute students have worked as interns or staffed top kitchens:
- Biltmore Estate (Asheville, NC)
- Blackberry Farm (Walland, TN)
- Commander's Palace (New Orleans, LA)
- Destination Kohler (Kohler, WI)
- Glenview Hotel and Leisure Club (County Wicklow, Ireland)
- Hot & Hot Fish Club (Birmingham, AL)
- The Greenbrier Resort (White Sulphur Springs, WV)
- K-Paul's (New Orleans, LA)
- Kraft Foodservice Test Kitchens (Chicago, IL)
- The Lemon Tree (Oxford, UK)
- Magnolias Uptown Down South in (Charleston, SC)
- Peabody Hotel (Memphis)
- Tannery Restaurant (Waterford, Ireland)
CAI in the Classroom
Our graduates prepare the next generation of culinary professionals in Mississippi by working as educators in Mississippi high schools and community colleges.
- Clinton High School
- Columbus High School
- Ridgeland High School
- Copiah-Lincoln Community College
- Delta Community College
- East Central Community College
- East Mississippi Community College
- Hinds Community College
- Jones County Junior College
- Meridian Community College
- Mississippi Delta Community College
- Monroe County School District
Ready for the Professional Kitchen
- Students enrolled in food preparation course must supply their own knives, books, and uniforms. All may be purchased at the on-campus bookstore. Students should plan to have these items by the first week of class.
- Our required uniform includes a logo hat and jacket, pants (you choose your style) and shoes.
A Legacy of Affordable Quality
The Culinary Arts Institute (CAI) at Mississippi University for Women was established in 1996 to prepare culinary and hospitality professionals across the southeastern United States. The educational opportunities presented in culinary arts areas of study rest atop The W's strong 125-year-old tradition in the liberal arts. Well-roundedness, breadth of experience, and the ability to think critically are at the heart of the University’s guiding principles and it is this unique blend between professional and liberal education that sets our graduates apart.
The university was founded in 1884 with the purpose of educating the under-served populations of Mississippi, and it is a tradition we strongly believe in to this day. The W consistently ranks as one of the best public universities in the Southeast according to U.S. News & World Report and Washington Monthly. Our commitment to an affordable education means we have one of the lowest tuition rates in the region.
Making Higher Education Affordable
Cost shouldn't be a barrier. At The W it won't be. We believe that the cost of a college education should not be a deterrent to your pursuit of earning a bachelor's degree. The W has kept tuition among the lowest in the Southeast. We offer that same low tuition to residents of every state, and a range of scholarships, and grants to help you pay for your education.
See for yourself! Our Net Price Calculators can tell you what you can expect to pay in tuition and the scholarships you are eligible to receive.
No Out-of-State Fees
We've eliminated all Out-of-State Fees, so no matter where you are from, you can get the same great education for the same price as a Mississippi resident. Really!
In addition to academic scholarships offered by the University, incoming culinary arts majors are eligible for departmental scholarships.
The W Life
We know college is not just about academics. Here at The W, it's easy to find a fit in one of more than 70 student organizations. You can plan a concert, compete in intramural sports, serve in student government, participate in a social club, sorority, or fraternity. You can even start your own organization. There's plenty to do!
If you would like more information about everything The W has to offer: Request Information
If you think The W would be a good fit, complete the free application to Apply to The W
If you would like to take a tour of campus and our kitchens: Schedule a Visit