Information for Students
In the next five years, MUW seeks to help you take ownership of your learning by mastering whatever skills, tools, and processes you need to ask good questions, find or form good answers, and share your results with others. This might mean new opportunities for you to do an internship, create an undergraduate research project, take a field trip, attend a conference, or participate in lab work, among other things. The entire University will pull together to foster a culture of intellectual engagement on campus. So, get ready for learning to leave the classroom. Start asking yourself what it is you're curious about and how you might pursue that interest—even if it takes you "outside the books."
An intellectually curious MUW student will be able to:
- Develop relevant and valid research questions.
- Effectively pursue answers and solutions to her/his own questions, problems, scenarios, or lines of inquiry.
- Produce and author knowledge by exploring open-ended questions, problems, scenarios, or lines of inquiry.
Projected Benefits to Students:
- Further development of the “personalized learning environment” for which MUW is known. The QEP will encourage increased faculty-student and peer contact outside the classroom and encourage more interaction within the classroom.
- Increased opportunity to engage in undergraduate research.
- Increased opportunity to engage in internships.
- Increased development of problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Increased participation in discussions that focus on self-reflection and the personal nature of learning.
How will we know if it is successful?
The success of the QEP will be assessed by several methods, including locally-developed measures, such as student focus groups and discipline-specific gateway and capstone courses, and national measures, such as the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) and the Collegiate Learning Assessment Plus (CLA+).
Learn more about the QEP:
Read the full QEP document, including the process for developing MUW’s QEP and the implementation plan.