Frequently Asked Questions

What happened to "dorms"?

A dormitory is merely a place to sleep and store your belongings.  In the past, dorm mothers or fathers supervised dorms.  This concept of on-campus living ended in the '60s!  A residence hall, on the other hand, is a home. It is a place to live and learn. It is an important part of college life that will enhance the classroom experience. After all, students spend a great deal more time in the residence halls than they do anywhere else on campus.

A residence hall is a complete environment where students can learn to interact with people, develop leadership skills, write papers, attend events and programs, make lifelong friends, and build long-lasting memories.

Am I assured housing on campus? Are new freshmen required to live on campus?

On-campus housing is assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. Beginning in Fall 2017, new freshman will be required to live on campus so that they can take part in a more dynamic campus-based experience and fully integrate themselves into campus culture.Learn more about the Freshman Residency Program

Are single rooms available?

Yes, but single rooms are available on a limited basis only, and according to class standing (seniors have first priority) and space availability. The Office of Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to cancel single rooms should the space be needed.

Can I request a roommate?

Yes, you may and we encourage you to do so.  To have a roommate of your choosing, both you and your roommate need to request each other on your housing applications.

When will I receive my room assignment information for the coming year?

Room assignment notifications are sent out once we receive your complete application for housing (if you are a new student). For current students, room assignments are based on whatever room you choose during Room Draw. See Room Draw for more information.  If you have not received your room assignment or information pertaining to it, please contact Assistant Director of Housing & Residence Life contact the main office at 662.329.7127.

Can I be sure that my preferred roommate and I will be assigned together?

Reciprocal roommate requests are honored as long as there are available open double occupancy rooms to house pairs of students. Both requests must be received from eligible students with correct student identification numbers included on the applications. Requests will be taken in date order of receipt, but one student should NOT hold his/her application until the other student receives and completes his/hers.
In the event that open rooms are no longer available, an attempt is made to house the students in the same residence hall, or campus area, to facilitate a future room change.

What is the procedure for making room assignments?

Special program assignments (Honors Residential College) are made based on approval from program staff. They also honor roommate requests whenever possible. Please do not call these groups for assignment information. You need to be sure to contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life at 662.329.7127.

Other students are assigned in the date order in which their applications are received.

What if my preferred roommate and I do not get assigned together, or I meet someone after I arrive and we want to room together?

The Office of Housing & Residence Life begins a consolidation process on the day after classes begin to assist students who wish to room together and who are assigned to different rooms/residence halls. After occupancy reports are in from residence hall staff, open double rooms are identified and students wishing to make changes may request to do so at this time. The student must make contact with the Community Director in the building in order to request a room change. This process continues through the first two weeks of school.

What if my roommate and I do not get along?

If a compromise cannot be reached and adjustments do not work after hall staff discusses the situation with students, room changes begin two weeks after the start of classes for changes within the same area of campus, and two weeks later room changes begin for campus-wide changes. Only Administrative or "emergency" changes are made prior to these date. Student must make contact with their respective Residence Director in order to request a change.

What if I have a housing request based on medical needs?

Students with special medical needs must submit documentation from a physician to be considered for special housing arrangements.  Medical requests for special housing arrangements are approved on a case-by-case basis and may not be approved.

When do the residence halls open?

Move-in day for the Fall 2016 semester is August 20th at 12:00pm.

Do the residence halls remain open during holidays and breaks?

Residence halls remain open during Thanksgiving and fall break; they are closed for winter break.  Residents who wish to remain during the times the halls are closed may do so for an additional cost (contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life for more details).

What should I bring to campus?

Go here for a listing of items to bring and items to leave at home.

What is a loft? Can I rent one from the Office of Housing & Residence Life? 

You may rent a loft from the Office of Housing & Residence Life. The lofts are available for $150 per year. There are a limited number of lofts that the office owns.

Can I paint my room?

The Office of Housing and Residence Life does not permit students to paint in the residence halls. Students who violate this policy could be subject to a damage fee.

Can I decorate my room?

Yes, decorations on the walls make your room look more like home, but we ask your cooperation in following the procedures found in the student handbook when decorating your room. Failure to follow these regulations may result in damage charges at the end of the year.  As a general rule, no duct tape or similar adhesive(s) should be used to hang items in your room. These adhesives will cause the paint to come off the walls.

Can I have visitors? Pets?

Go here for a list of all policies pertaining to visitation and pets, etc.

How are the buildings staffed?

Each residence hall area has one professional live-in staff member called a Residence Director (RD) and each floor is staffed by one student paraprofessional (except in Hastings-Simmons and Columbus where there is one student staff per two floors) called an Resident Advisor (RA).

What kind of safety precautions are being taken in the residence halls?

All of the buildings will be equipped with electronic door access at all entrance areas. Only residents of the building can use their ID cards to gain access to the building. Visitors must be escorted by their host(s) at all times when visiting in the halls and follow the visitation guidelines and check in process.

What is programming in the residence halls?

We offer a variety of programs for residential students to help them grow developmentally.  These programs give you the opportunity to meet new people, become acquainted with some of the resources we have and give you a chance to relax and enjoy yourself. Some of the programming projects have been coffee houses, movies, athletic events, growth workshops, psychic readings, and outdoor picnics.

Where do I go if I need medical attention?

In case of illness, you can visit the health center in Eckford Hall.  If there is a serious situation, please contact MUW police and your Resident Advisor (RA) or the Residence Director on duty.

Where do I get my mail?

Daily mail service (except weekends) is provided to all students who register for a W-box through the mail room in Hogarth.  Advise correspondents to address mail to you in care of your W-box NOT your room number.  Also, do not put PO box on your correspondence as it may delay or return your mail.

All packages shipped via FedEx or UPS will be delivered to the Office of Housing & Residence Life, 2nd Floor, for pick-up.  You will receive a notification in your W-box when this happens.  Packages may be picked up during normal desk hours which is 8am-5pm.

Where do I go to do my laundry and how much does it cost?

Laundry rooms are provided in each hall and are included in your housing fee and can be used by ON CAMPUS residents at no additional charge.

What do I do if I lose my ID card?

If you cannot remember the last time you had it, go to ID Services in McDevitt Hall to get a new on. There is a $25 charge for a new one. If you find your old one, you cannot use it because it has been deactivated through the system.  You must have a student ID and this will be your access into your residence hall (and residential wing if applicable). Your ID also is used for your meal plan in the cafeteria.

What happens if I lose my key?

Report the loss of all keys to your Resident Advisor (RA) and/or Residence Director (RD).  There is a charge (that varies with each building).  RAs and/or RDs can let you into your room but after additional lockouts, you will be charged $5 per key-in.

Are there employment opportunities on campus?

Yes, and students should contact Career Services at 662.329.7127 for more information.

How do I insure my personal belongings?

Since MUW is not responsible for loss or damage to personal property from any cause, we recommend that you check to see if your belongings are covered under your family's homeowner's insurance policy.  If this is not the case, you may wish to buy renter's insurance, which is reasonably priced.  For more information on rental insurance, please visit

Can I bring a bike to school?

Yes, but bicycles should be stored in bike racks near the residence halls. Bikes are not allowed in hallways, stairwells, walkways or student rooms. Bikes found in any of these areas will be removed. Be sure to bring a bike lock to secure your bike.