For The Education of White Girls
From its founding in 1884 until desegregation in 1966, The W was intended to serve a segregated student body, evident in its original title of the Mississippi Industrial Institute and College for the Education of White Girls. The name of the school was soon shortened to Industrial Institute and College (II&C) and then to Mississippi State College for Women (MSCW) in 1920, while continuing as an all-white school in the Jim Crow South. (MSCW became Mississippi University for Women in 1974.)
Title page of the 1888-89 Industrial Institute & College Catalogue.
Mississippi University for Women Archives. 1888-89 Catalogue. http://www.muw.edu/centers/women/resources/digital