The W Fact Sheet
Mississippi University for Women was founded in 1884 as the first publicly chartered university in the nation for women. It welcomed men to its student body in 1982, and males now make up about 18 percent of total enrollment.
Total annual enrollment is 2,704 students, of which nearly 80% are from Mississippi.
The campus covers more than 114 acres in the central historic district of Columbus, Miss. Twenty-three of more than 60 campus buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Committed to an outstanding environment for students, faculty and staff, The W continues to earn honors for service, affordability and quality.
- U.S. News – No. 18 among Top Public-Regional Universities South; No. 4 as a Best Public School Value among Best Public Value Schools -Regional Universities South, U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges Rankings
- Washington Monthly—No. 160 in national master’s public universities; No. 80 overall as a ‘Best Bang for the Buck’
- Great Colleges to Work For—Great Colleges to Work For, 9th year in a row, 7 years on Honor Roll
- Best Online RN to BSN Programs—No. 15 in the nation, Intelligent.com
- Most Affordable- #2 Best Return on Investment in Mississippi, Online College Database
- Military Friendly- The W earned the 2021-2022 Military Friendly® School designation.